GIS Standalone Software
The Geographic Resources Analysis Support System, commonly referred to as GRASS, is a Geographic Information System (GIS) providing powerful raster, v
gvSIG has established itself as one of the most comprehensive Open Source GIS packages. gvSIG is a fully fledged desktop application designed for c
QGIS is a full functioning GIS that is easy and intuitive to use. It is quickly becoming the leading open source standalone GIS.
TNTmips Free is a no cost installation of TNTmips designed for students and professionals who wish to learn about geospatial analysis. TNTmips Free is not a demo, but a large, full-featured geospatial analysis software package. TNTmips Free is the same software as TNTmips Pro except that the license to use it free-of-charge limits the size, number, and complexity of the geodata layers you can use in your project and omits some advanced features.Date April 21, 2015
uDig is an open source (LGPL) desktop application framework, built with Eclipse Rich Client (RCP) technology.
* uDig can be used as a stand-alone application.
* uDig can be extended with RCP “plug-ins”.
* uDig can be used as a plug-in in an existing RCP application.
The goal of uDig is to provide a complete Java solution for desktop GIS data access, editing, and viewing. uDig aims to be:
* User friendly, providing a familiar graphical environment for GIS users;
* Desktop located, running as a thick client, natively on Windows, Mac OS/X and Linux;
* Internet oriented, consuming standard (WMS, WFS, WCS) and de facto (GeoRSS, KML, tiles) geospatial web services; and,
* GIS ready, providing the framework on which complex analytical capabilities can be built, and gradually subsuming those capabilities into the main application.
uDig is distributed under the open source LGPL license.
Whitebox Geospatial Analysis Tools
Whitebox Geospatial Analysis Tools is a comprehensive open source tool kit. It has over 370 geospatial tools that allow users to read, write and manipulate all sorts of spatial data. It covers both vector and raster and even has a Lidar processing module. Pretty much everything you need is in there.
Whitebox is a java based application and will work on most Windows, Macs and Linux machines.